ACTION, MOVEMENT, COLOR, EMOTION.. check it out! I love to work with metal and have been learning how to use many other sculptural materials. I am inspired by the chaotic work of Ryan Trecartin because of all the colors and cultural hyperactivity. I also enjoy the tension in works like Bernini's David. Most of all I just enjoy making and seeing things that are beautiful in some way.

Thursday, August 13

MY jewelery history.

I have been making jewelery since I was in the Fifth grade. That is also the grade in which I started selling jewelry. Since then I have been selling Jewelery up until about 2 years ago on and off.
I started out just making Jewelery for myself. At one point though, I really wanted snack money.
Since my stationary business fell through, I wasn't allowed to rent video tapes to student anymore, and I ran out of people who wanted to buy tree drawings with owls in them; I decided to sell my precious creations.
I quickly learned what sold and what didn't. At one point I was buying snacks for people, I was the coolest kid in class (or at least i felt that way). Then i got out of plastics and went into glass bead work. Which meant that the cost of my materials went up and I had to sell my jewels for higher prices. To be honest though kids my age were few and far between that understood the difference in value of plastic and glass and why it would be worth the money. I persisted through and still made snack money. I payed attention to what styles people were willing to pay for; in this case it was choker's with slightly complicated bead work. I even had a team of creators for a while in 8Th grade. Then I got into semi-precious gemstones and using silver and gold wire, I never got my monies worth in selling these things, but for me the fact that people wanted to buy what I was creating was thrilling. For while I fueled my creations with more creations. Now, I have this amazing bead collection of things I was "saving." As I hang out in my dads apartment and am reunited with my beads I had this sudden realization that all the wonderful beads I had were just waiting for me to make some funky fresh Jewelery and I didn't have to worry this time about whether or not people would buy it. When I last had access to my bead collection I didn't have the experience of the past 2 years of making art that has no need to be bought. So I am taking this attitude towards my jewelery and seeing what happens. I can't wait to put up more of what i have made.

No comments: